Friday, July 12, 2013

Mushroom Tutorial

Here is a tutorial on making the mushroom battery operated tea light covers.  I hope you can follow this.  

First get a glass ice cream sundae dish and a bowl that fits nicely on top. I got mine at a Goodwill store.  Remember they are both used upside down.  You need Mod Podge and acrylic paint of your color choice.  I used a foam brush which I throw away when I was done.



Mix a glob of Mod Podge and some of the paint.  


It will look lighter till it dries.  Sort of like this.


Use the foam brush and coat the outside of the sundae glass.  I only did up to the base and the complete outside of the bowl with the mixture.  Work over wax paper so you do not mess up the table.  I put the bowl on the Mod Podge jar to dry.  Let dry at least over night.  Sorry the picture is dark.


You will see it dry a lot clearer than when you applied it.  I suppose you could do more than one coat but I like it with just one.


This is how it looked before spraying.


This is what I sprayed it with.  Do it outside where there is lots of fresh air.  It smells nasty, like spray paint but it is for frosting glass.


Sorry no picture after spraying on my porch.  Let sit and dry for several hours or you will get finger prints on it.  This is how it crackled for me.


I tried to get a good picture of it with the battery operated tea light but this is the best I could do today.


Have fun if you try this idea.  I said before that I got the idea for the mushroom from my daughter Terry and the one she gave me was just frosted which I love.  She saw it somewhere on a blog.  Not sure which one but the crackle is all my happy accident.

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm going to have to try that one of these days! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous Tudy. Thank you for the tutorial. Hugs.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy accidents have a way of turning into brilliance, lol. I think I prefer the purple one too, the crackle seems to show better with the stronger colour

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visting my blog and leaving a comment.